MCDB undergraduate scholarships
MCDB is proud to announce the offering of three scholarships designated for our department's undergraduates. Descriptions of the awards and the application instructions are below. All application deadlines are 5 pm, April 3rd 2017.
If you have further questions, contact Dr. Brian DeDecker
The Marsico scholarship
This award is approximately $1,200 and open only to freshman students who entered into the university for the Fall 2016 semester. Two awards are available. The awarded funds will be available in the fall of 2017. In order to be considered, you must be a full time student (enrolled into 12 credit hours), have MCDB as your primary major and regularly enrolled into MCDB courses. To remain eligible for the award you must remain an MCDB major. This scholarship is highly competitive and past awardees generally a cumulative GPA above 3.5 from their first semester
The Chen Endowed Scholarship Fund
This is a need-based scholarship of $2,500 to an MCDB undergraduate who graduated from a Colorado high school. Current second and third year students may apply. One scholarship is awarded per year and is renewable for up to 2 consecutive years. The award will be available in the Fall.
Caplan Craig Scholarship
This is an award for approximately $1,500 and available in the fall of 2017. This scholarship is for MCDB majors with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 and is based on merit and financial need. Women and returning women are especially encouraged to apply, but gender is not considered a factor in the selection process.
There is also a Caplan Craig Scholarship to support summer research. Nominations are solicited in May from the MCDB faculty for MCDB undergraduates currently pursuing independent research in their labs.
You may apply for any combination of the scholarships above depending on your eligibility for each. The application instructions are the same for all three scholarships. Although, each scholarship requires a separate application to be submitted to the following email: MCDBfirstname.lastname@example.org
Part One (of two): The Application Form
Submit a Microsoft Word file with the following three sections.
- A header page with the following information:
- The Scholarship Name
- Your Name
- Student ID
- An essay section consisting of one or two pages covering the following:
- Your reason for pursing the MCDB major.
- How majoring in MCDB will affect your personal growth and professional goals.
- Description of need for the two need-based scholarships (Chen and Caplan Craig)
- A resume section with the following information
- Your cumulative and major GPA (see GPA requirements)
- School activities, memberships, and honors you have received (indicate leadership roles in these activities or organizations)
- Your involvement in community service and volunteer activities
- Jobs you have held, dates of employment and responsibilities involved
- How you will contribute to the campus community
Part Two: The Release Form
The single release form (below) will cover all combinations of the applications submitted.
The signed form is to be scanned as a PDF file and attach to the full application.Release Form.